Five tips for hiring a home repair contractor
Whether you’re making home repairs to your existing home or thinking about buying a fixer upper, you’ll likely need to hire a contractor to complete the project. Not sure how to find the right person for the job? Here are five tips to help you make sure repairs are done right:
- Start local: Hiring a local contractor may be more convenient for your schedule, especially when you need someone to be responsive. It also may be easier to verify their references or business information.
- Ask for references: Ask your contractor for a list of recent references to verify they are competent, capable and professional. Follow up with each reference and note any concerns with performance.
- Confirm contractors are licensed, bonded and insured: Contractors and subcontractors are required to have a business license and insurance coverage. Check the list of Indiana licensed contractors, disciplinary boards, the Better Business Bureau and local court records to verify this information.
- Check with a licensed home inspector: Licensed home inspectors are always checking for flawed work, and they may be able to recommend a contractor who consistently passes the inspection process.
- Get a written quote: Request a written quote for labor and material costs, including a final total. Try to collect at least three bids so you can compare prices.
If you’re looking to purchase a home in need of a little elbow grease, INHP’s Revive Indy loan program offers a fixed-rate mortgage with a 3% down payment and no mortgage insurance. Learn more about the program here. Or, if you’re ready to rehab a home, get started today.